Blog Post

You Made a Mistake on Your Tax Form. Now What?

You Made a Mistake on Your Tax Form. Now What?

mistake on your tax form

It happens. You made a mistake on your tax form. It goes something like this:

You work carefully on your tax forms, file them away, and forget about taxes until the cycle repeats. But then you receive a surprising letter from the IRS claiming you made a mistake on your tax form. The first step is not to panic. Mistakes happen, and the best part is that most are easily fixable!

Don’t Procrastinate

It’s important to act. IRS notices usually come with a deadline, and if there is a balance due, can come with penalties and interest if you don’t respond in a timely manner. Grab your notice and let’s find out what happened. 

Identify The Mistake on Your Tax Form

It would be impossible to come up with a complete list but here are some of the most common mistakes on tax forms we see here at Tax Help Center:

  • Misspellings and typos.
  • Miscategorizing income and/or deductions.
  • Choosing the wrong filing status.
  • Omitting a W-2, 1099, or other required forms.

Now what?

When there is a typo, misspelling, or missing documents, providing the corrected or missing information will do the trick.

In other cases, preparing an amended tax return will be the best option. An amendment is your opportunity to learn from your mistake and resubmit your tax return.  However, your IRS notice will not tell you how to prepare an amended return. Consult with your EA or CPA as soon as you receive a notice. We advise all of our clients to bring the IRS notice to our office because it’s too easy to make mistakes again. He or she will correct the mistake for you and help you avoid more in the future!

And speaking about the future, once you resolve the mistake on your tax form, grab our exclusive tax preparation checklist so you’ll never miss a mistake again!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *